MY FAVORITE BUCKWHEAT RECIPE12:52
... same old story :) I'm the kind of person who, if she really likes something, eats that for three weeks straight until she can't stand only looking at it. Yup, that's me. And my latest obsession is definitely: buckwheat!
Buckwheat is a healthy alternative to regular oats as it's often less processed and also gluten free. Buckwheat also contains a little bit less fats and protein in comparison to oatmeal - but it's really just a tiny little bit. ;) I mainly eat it because I love the taste and because I try to avoid gluten wherever I can as I have a small sensitivity which often causes me stomach cramps and back pain whenever I do eat it. I usually order my buckwheat FLAKES from the Koro Drogerie which is a German online shop. They sell it in 5kg bags which is totally awesome because by that I don't have to run to the store every other day. ;)
Since I've already talked a lot about my buckwheat addiction on both Instagram and YouTube, you guys have asked me several times for a recipe. To be honest ... it's not a real "recipe". You can adjust the measurements and ingredients as you like. Here's how I make my favorite breakfast of the moment:
- 1 cup of buckwheat
- 2 cups of water (you can also use your choice of plant milk)
- 1 apple
- 1 tbsp Muscle Power Mix
- additional: 1-2 tbsp maple syrup / agave / stevia / cinnamon / vanilla ...
- toppings: nuts and fruits of choice
HERE'S HOW I MAKE IT:
- pour together buckwheat and water / plant milk in a pot and turn on medium heat on your stove.
- Meanwhile I cut my apple into tiny pieces which I add into the mixture
- as soon as everything starts to boil, turn down to low heat and let it sit for about five minutes
- don't forget to stir the buckwheat with a spoon every now and then so nothing can burn on the bottom. If it does, add a few spoons of more liquid!
- Turn off the heat and let it sit for another 3-5 minutes
- now I usually add in my Muscle Power Mix which is a raw plantbased protein mix of pea protein, rice protein, maca and lucuma
- Of course you can still add a sweetener of your choice!
- I like mine less sweet and enjoy the sweetness of the fruits I add as toppings :)
Et voilá - here's YOUR new addiction hehe. Let me know if you've ever tried buckwheat and if yes, how do you like it? :)
If you've made it this far down, thanks a lot for taking the time to read my post today. I'll talk to you very soon and wish you a happy and healthy day,
Here are just some more example of what I use as toppings: all vegan and super yummy!